FINISHING DEPARTMENT 5S
Team members: Brandon Richardson, Chava Oliveras, Belinda Gober, Clayton Williams, Alicia Mendoza, James Darden, Christian Magallanes and John Howze
This event took a total of 320 hours to complete.
- Set-up cage-sort and set in order
- Created sanding area-before as equipment was needed it was pulled out and then put back after use. Having a designated sanding area with workstations available for use reduces muda of time pulling out and putting back equipment.
- 22 Trim Presses cleaned and painted
- Made and improved work instruction boards
- Tap and plug area-complete 5S of equipment and area. Created splash guard to make shine easier. 5S of tools to make them easier to locate (reduce muda from searching for tools).
Some thoughts on the 5S by John Howze-While preparing for the Finishing 5S daily training I read something, that before, I had not payed a lot of attention to. It was the part in shine, about employee moral which is very important. So one of our biggest goals as team members was to brighten up finishing.
We painted all 22 trim presses and had immediate positive feedback from finishing operators to maintenance. This was a big bold task that had been talked about since the last 5S in finishing. But there were cost issue resistance layers holding us back.
But like the Nike commercial says, sometimes you got to bite the bullet and JUST DO IT!